Monday, March 8, 2010

8 March 2010



Not enough hours in the day...

I'm going to miss you guys. (Sorry for the potentially gender-biased vernacular; it's meant to be an affectionate statement.) I am sick now and I am coming to terms with the fact that I am not going to see all of my friends in the next ten days before I leave for Costa Rica. The most I can hope to do is see a few of you, get tipsy a few times, and maybe have a teary goodbye or two.

While I understand the reasons I am going to Costa Rica, I will never understand why I have become such a regular international traveler. Part of it, I know, is my incessant wanderlust and my lack of strong familial ties to anyone at home. I feel fortunate to know where home is and grateful to have been blessed with such a rich variety of friendships and "professional" associations in Seattle. I also feel lucky to live in the land of Tahoma ([tɪkəˈbɪt], from what I understand) and the Duwamish, the salmon people and grunge music. As rich as Seattle's culture can be, my undergraduate thesis project has proven to me that we are destitute of certain types of ecological knowledge. Given that we can't logically raze all of the skyscrapers to the ground and magically become year-round communal gardeners like the Shuar, I feel I am off to find another intermediate step between city living and forest dwelling. If the relationship I form with Colonia Libertad becomes another valuable link for my academic pursuits, I will be quite happy.

I learned a lot of valuable lessons in Costa Rica the last time around; this time, returning as a more seasoned traveler, the tables are turned and
I will be giving a lot of the lessons. Lessons about basic grammar and diction, and hopefully some lessons regarding the ontology of resource-seeking enterprises. I am certain that the students will have at least as many lessons to teach me.

Please feel free to follow my thoughts and experiences here as I follow the breeze down to Guanacaste. And forgive me if I don't get to see all of you before I go; we'll have plenty to talk about and to celebrate once I return in September.

peace love hope

Chaim


No comments:

Post a Comment